My Hair Regimen – 2015
I’ve been natural for the past 5 years, so I’m out of the product junkie and experimental stage of my journey. I’ve created a routine for my hair that fits in with my lifestyle and that I can easily maintain. My routine may not be the regimen for you but it will answer the common question asked about how I care for my hair.
Once a Week (Typically on Sundays)
- Wash – I wash my hair with a sulfate free shampoo, focusing most of my attention on the scalp. Currently I’m using Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Shampoo.
- Condition – After I rinse the shampoo, I follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner. Currently I’m using Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Conditioner.
- Detangle – After I coat my hair with conditioner I go through each section and detangle my hair with my fingers. (Note: I’m doing this while my hair is soaking wet and full of conditioner)
- Dry – I do not use a towel to dry my hair. I use a white cotton t-shirt to dry my hair. Check out this video to see how. (Note: I tuck in the excess shirt in the back and do not create the turban effect at the top)
- Style – I combine a deep conditioner that can also be used as a leave-in (Cantu Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque), oil (EVOO or Coconut), and aloe vera juice in a container for my styler. The conditioner is used to moisturize my hair, the oil is used to seal in the moisture to my hair, and the aloe vera is used to provide PH Balance to prevent frizz. On wet hair I add my styler and twist my hair in 16 equal parts. I twist to the scalp and let the rest hang. The video below illustrates how I twist my hair.
I keep my hair twisted throughout the work week throwing it under a beanie for quick errands.
I re-moisturizing my hair in the middle of the week or as needed by redoing fuzzy twist. I use a water bottle to rewet my hair, add in my styler, and redo my twist.
If I’m going out social over the weekend, I will untwist my hair, wearing it as a twist out. At night I pineapple my hair (gathering it in a high loose ponytail) and sleep on satin sheets and pillowcases. The next day, I remove the ponytail holder, shake my hair out until it’s all in place. I do not redo my hair until wash day (Sunday).
- Heat – I straighten my hair twice a year in order to get a proper trim. Most stylist trim hair evenly across, this isn’t necessary for me since I wear my hair curly 98% of the time. I have a stylist trim my hair for split ends only.
- Steam – A hair steamer has always been a part of my regimen. I think deep conditioning my hair with a steamer weekly has definitely contributed the growth and strength of my hair. Unfortunately my steamer broke in my recent move, so it’s not a part of my current routine but I encourage all to use it.When I can properly DC (Deep Condition) I use TRESemme Naturals conditioner as my styler of choice instead of the Cantu mentioned above.
- Protein – The only time I usually do a protein treatment is after I straighten my hair. My hair is sensitive so I usually come out of heat styling with heat damage, so I use Aphogee or another protein treatment conditioner after heat treatment.