This is one of the first vegan dishes I tried and my first attempt at using tofu and I love it! This recipe is very versatile. You can use the tofu as crumbles and place in a salad, lettuce wrap, or sandwich. You can make “chicken” strips or nuggets. You can also fry it up in a pan to make it a bit more crispy.
Tofu Popcorn Chicken Bites
Adapted from The Verge
- 350g / 13oz block firm or extra firm tofu
- ⅓ cup flour (white flour, whole wheat flour, chickpea flour, buckwheat flour – the choice is up to you)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (this is super easy to find in stores like the Vitamin Shoppe and gives the recipe a cheesy taste)
- 1 Tbsp wet mustard (any kind: dijon, wholegrain etc)
- 1 tsp salt (I use Himalania Himalayan Fine Pink Salt found in my local Whole Foods)
- 1 tsp all purpose seasoning (try cajun or lemon pepper for different flavors)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ – ½ cup water
- Press tofu for about 10 minutes. Drain tofu, wrap in paper towels or clean tea towel, and place heavy items on top to press. I use a heavy chopping board on the bottom and a pan on top to press.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare the coating by combining all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Slowly add the water, whisking as you go. The coating should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Add mustard and mix.
- Place the tofu into the mixing bowl with the coating. Be sure the coating is well combined with the tofu and then pick up the tofu crumbles and shape them with your hands.
- Place each nugget in a single layer on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes
- Add your favorite sauce (BBQ, Ketchup, etc.) and enjoy!
One thought on “Tofu Popcorn Chicken Bites”
I tried this for lunch on 2/15/18 so good didn’t even knew I was eating tofu