This has easily become one of my favorite vegan recipes. Dredging the cauliflower in the flour creates the crispy breading that you’re used to with wings and baking the cauliflower gives that “fall off the bone” texture of a real wing. You can make these wing your own by using your favorite kind of BBQ sauce like a mustard base, sweet, spicy or any other sauce that you prefer.
BBQ Cauliflower Wings
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup spelt flour (I used spelt and Buckwheat in the picture above which accounts for the different colors)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 2 teaspoon melted non-dairy butter
- 1 cup of BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. In a medium-sized bowl, combine all ingredients with the exception of the cauliflower. Whisk together until smooth.
- Cut cauliflower head to bite sized pieces
- Toss cauliflower into batter, making sure to coat each piece completely, then place battered cauliflower on a lightly greased, nonstick baking sheet (or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper).
- Bake for 40 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Toss your favorite BBQ sauce on the wings and allow cauliflower to cool for 15 minutes before serving.