June is national fruits and veggies month and if you’re looking for a sweet treat with fruits and veggies, this is definitely the one for you. I ate an entire pan of this in two days and I’m not ashamed to say it. This is another recipe out of the Vegan Soul Kitchen book, that is a must try!
Give the recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below or on social media with the hashtag #VeggieCurls.
Candied Sweet Potato Discs and Apple Slices
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch rounds (Tip: You can quickly boil and toss sweet potatoes in ice water to make the process easier for peeling and cutting)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, cored, peeled, and cut into 1⁄2-inch widthwise slices
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 ⁄4 cup plus 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 ⁄4 cup cold apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Spread the sweet potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 40 minutes, turning the discs over with a fork after 20 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and reduce the heat to 375°F.
- In a 2-quart baking dish, add a layer of sweet potatoes to the bottom, layer half of the apple slices on top of the first layer, layer the remaining sweet potatoes on top of the apples, and layer the remaining apples on top.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the apple juice with the cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well until the spices are evenly distributed. Add the agave nectar, vanilla extract, lemon juice, orange juice, apple juice, and salt and mix well to combine. Pour over the sweet potatoes and apples.
- Bake uncovered, for 40 minutes, basting every 10 minutes.
Adapted From Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and Creative African-American Cuisine by Bryant Terry. Copyright © 2009 by Bryant Terry.