7 Habits for Longer, Thicker, Natural Hair
Women are constantly asking me for tips on how to grow longer and stronger hair. The fact is, unless you have a medical issue your hair is growing. So it’s all about creating habits that will allow you to keep the hair already of your head and prevent it from prematurely breaking off.
Below are 7 things you can do to improve the health of your hair for longer, thicker, stronger hair.
- Protective Styling: Wear simple styles that offer little manipulation and hide your ends which are the oldest parts of your hair. Common protective styles include buns, braids, twist and even wigs and weave (as long as you are taking care of your hair underneath) and up-dos are classic.
- No Heat:Air drying is the best thing you can do to keep your hair on your head. Limit heat styling to rare special occasions. I only heat style twice a year to get a proper trim.
- Styling Tools: I honestly can’t remember the last time I used a comb. My 5 fingers are the perfect detangler. If you can, avoid using a comb or brush, especially on dry hair. Finger comb or wear your hair in protective styles whenever possible
- Detangling: It’s important to know how to detangle. Be sure to comb your damp condition-soaked hair from ends to root. You can use your fingers, wide tooth comb or Denman brush to detangle.
- Hair Accessories: You can easily loose hair in many hair accessories. Use hair accessories with no hanging parts or exposed metal. Banana clips, Satin Scrunchies, Goodie Flex Barrettes, Ouchless bobby pins & Ouchless elastic bands are the best for styling hair so that it does not get damaged.
- Styling: Be sure to avoid pulling hair tight at the hairline. Doing so will recede your hairline and damage the follicles permanently. This also should be observes for adding in weave, wigs, and buns for protective styling.
- Do Your Nails First: Your hair will easily snag and break off during the shampooing, conditioning, detangling, or styling process if you don’t check your nails. Hanging nails will damage hair. Always make sure your nails are smooth and even before hair styling.
Posted on July 28, 2015, in Natural Hair and tagged detangling, hair accessories, heatless, longer hair, Natural Hair, protective styles, stronger hair, styling, styling tools, thicker hair. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.