I was never much of a fish or seafood fan growing up (expect crabs), but this play on tuna salad is one of my go to lunch dishes. Quick, easy, and convenient — My favorite combo.
This doesn’t have a fishy taste, but it does mimic the texture of tuna fish and has a great combination of flavors with the mustard, mayo, garlic, onion, and pickles.
Give it a try and let me see your creations on social media by using the hashtag #veggiecurls
Chickpea Salad Stuffed Pita
• 1-15 oz. can chickpeas (drained)
• 2 tbsp. vegan mayo (eg. vegenaise)
• 1 1/2 tbsp. dijon mustard
• 1/4 cup diced pickles, relish or celery
• Squeeze of fresh lemon juice (about 1 tsp.)
• 1 1/2 cups of romain lettuce or spinach
• Pita, whole wheat
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp onion powder
• Salt and pepper, to taste
In medium sized bowl mash your chickpeas (garbanzo beans) well with a fork. Make sure you drain the chickpeas before mashing them. You do not want watery chickpea salad!
Add mayo & mustard and stir.
Fold in pickles.
Season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
Cut your pita in half and add your spinach inside.
Stuff the pita with a heaping scoop of chickpea salad, and top with tomatoes, red onion and lettuce, if you like.